Friday, January 15, 2010

First Attempts



Today I'm venturing into the scary world of blogs. Well, at least scary for me.
I've baked bread for many years, but never using this no knead method. I made my dough earlier in the week, after returning from a very chilly Key West. Today I shaped and baked my first loaf using the Master recipe. Then, I shaped and baked the Epi. The Epi was somewhat of a challenge, and I've posted a picture of the results. It was great fun and with a little practice I hope the next ones will turn out better.


I'm going to attempt the crackers tomorrow armed with the great advice from the other posts.
Thanks Michelle of BigBlackDogs for organizing this blogging adventure, I would have never taken it on without you.



I made applebutter from Michelle's recipe at BigBlackDog. I did it in the slow cooker. It took a little longer to get to the right thickness, but great flavor. I'm going to serve it with HBin5 bread at a neighborhood meeting on thursday.

14 comments:

Michelle said...

Ahhhh...thanks sweetie! I need the kudos today too!

Your bread looks wonderful and the slashing is perfect. I need to work on my slashing, it's hit or miss now!

Wasn't the Epi fun to make!

Michelle said...

Ooops forgot to mention that I'm looking forward to your Beekeeping posts. Beekeeping has always fascinated me and although I've done quite a bit of research and have some equipment, I've not ventured further. I think I need a big push!

Elwood said...

Thanks Michelle! Slashing is really hit and miss for me too. I am going to post some beekeeping pics later. It has been quite the experience. Our first harvest of honey won 1st place in our category (light amber) at the Kentucky State Fair.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Great looking breads! I'm impressed with the rise you got on your boule. Very nice!

Kim said...

Both breads look terrific! So glad to see you joined hb in 5. I'm in Georgetown, KY. Nice to know that we're baking along together :D

Cristie said...

Very nice breads and welcome to the blog world!

Elwood said...

Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments. Kim..we're practically neighbors!

Megan said...

Great looking breads! I didnt get a chance to make the epi but yours is inspiring.

Unknown said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! In no time, it won't be scary :) Your bread looks great.

Elwood said...

Thanks Megan and Danielle. Making crackers today and the dough for the next set of breads.

Tara said...

Welcome to the braid...I love your blog name!

Michelle said...

Your blog looks so nice with the new template and I'm sure you feel a bit better with more room!

JV said...

I got a book recently called Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I've heard good things about it, though.

Your efforts look well worth it, though I have to say that the thought of beets makes my eyes water. I suppose my only experience with them has been canned (pickled) beets, which I just find nasty. Ugh!

Elwood said...

thanks JV:
Actually the beet taste was not very pronounced, more like and onion bread. The beets did keep the bread nice and moist though.

Post a Comment